Monday, October 6, 2008

Books on Crates

October 23rd sees the release of Books on Tape, the LP I have been working on for the last two years or so with MC Laduma Nguyuza, the other half of the hip-hop fantasy football team we call STINK TANK. Thus far on Can You Dig It? I have written primarily about my experiences digging and the thoughts that it provokes. I have tried not to use it to promote any of the music that I make from what I dig up, largely in an attempt to discourage biters. In this case, however, I decided it was my moral obligation (and hopefully also some good publicity) to post a playlist of some of the original tracks I used to put together this album. Secrecy regarding one's influences is a Hip Hop tradition as old as the genre itself, but as most of the cooler heads in the game today have noted, we insist on the tree at the expense of the forest. I hope in sharing this that my fellow beatmakers might find some inspiration in it, perhaps learn something from it. Regardless of who owns the copyrights, marketing licenses and controlling shares, Hip Hop is publicly held and employee owned and operated. We feed it, we define it, we decide whether it lives or dies. The burden of educating each other and inspiring each other is on us. The government won't do it, the TV won't do it, the fucking radio certainly won't do it. Can you dig it?
Books on Crates

2 comments:

cory p said...

i look forward to checking this download out as well as books on tape.

Anonymous said...

What exactly is "Books on Crates?" The Zshare link is dead.